Tuesday, January 27, 2009

d-day

It's quite around here today.... No hall talk, no laughter, no jokes. They are announcing layoffs today. We are each being called into a room and told, we can stay or we must go. I'm okay, I've been called in and I know, I get to keep my job, this time. I'm happy and relieved but, it's spooky around here today. I know there will be friends let go today, friends I just won't see again. And I know that their lives will turned upside down. And our managers, they get to spend the day handing out grim news, even for those of us staying, it's hardly a happy day. Those of us staying now know that we're just that much closer to the cut next time. I keep imagining all of us trying to stay on a shrinking island. Clamoring over each other trying to search for higher ground - trying to stand out, do more, do better don't get cut next time. There will be a next time, that's almost a certainty.

It's going to be tough to concentrate today, we're in limbo... We don't know who's been cut or how many, there's no plans to make or execute and it's just tough to concentrate on anything - it's just so quite...

It's hard to talk to our friend here - afterall, what if they got cut and you didn't? Wouldn't that be awful to say how your safe not knowing they weren't.

So I just have to try to find something to do, focus damn it on something other than this and my cold clamy palms.

No comments: