Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Big Day

Well, I got some good news today - I was selected to participate in Crossings Poet/Artist collaboration. I need to create a work of art, inspired by a poem then present it at a reception for display....

It's a really big deal for me - 30 years after declaring, at 4 years old, that I wanted to be an artist I'm actually going to create something that my be displayed in a gallery... I know that may not sound like a big deal, but it is for me and I'm so excited - it's taken 30 years to work up the nerve to do something with art and while it's just a little something - I'm going to do SOMETHING!!!

I was thinking on the way home - I don't call myself an artist - never use the term. I'll say 'I draw' or 'I paint' but, I won't call myself an 'artist'... It's a mental block I just CAN'T do it. I run into these all the time in yoga - I'll try a pose get so far into it and then, I just won't be able to go any further. Not because I physically can't but because my mind says - 'No you can't do this.' 'Your body can't do this' - 'you'll fall', 'you'll get hurt'. Well, I think it's the same with calling myself an artist - my mind says 'You can't do this' - 'you'll fail', 'you'll get hurt'. So, I'm going to try what I do with yoga... I let it be in class, then when I get home, I have Chad spot for me, or I pile up pillows so if I fall I won't get hurt, then, when I feel 'safe'. I work into it - nice and easy. If I don't get it right away - I learn from my mistakes and try again... Eventually, I usually get it...

So, this is my baby step - got a few pillows, Chad's spotting for me. I'm a little scared but, I feel safe. Here goes....

No comments: