Saturday, April 18, 2009

You like me, you really like me!

The Poet/Artist collaboration reception was last night. This was Crossings eighth year holding the anunal reception. It was the brain-child of the group there and what a great idea it is! Oh it was a wonderful night - I saw so many of my artist-friends! Of course, I was to afraid to talk to any of them, that would mean I'd have to leave my safe happy little corner. Now, that's probably my only regret of the evening, I didn't get a chance to tell Lisa, or Megan or Connie how incredible their work is. I should have sought them out but, I was an artist reception virgin. I hope they'll forgive me and remember that as wonderful as the first time can be you just don't have the technique down yet :)

So here's how this deal went down. First you mingle, have some wine and enjoy the art and company. That was my time to hide in the corner and try not to knock anything over. Seriously, I don't know what came over me about for an hour or so before the show, I dropped everything I touched... It was a klutzy flavor of nervousness I'd never seen before.

After a bit, it's time for the readings to begin.

Yep, readings... So here's the format - the poet makes a few comments on the art, and what inspired them to write their poem. Then the poet reads their poem. Then, he hands the MICROPHONE, yes microphone, to the artist to say a few words, about the poem and about their art. This was what I was freaking out about. I didn't know what to say..... So as I enjoyed the reception, in the back of my mind I came up with something.

So, how'd it go? How'd I do? Sally Feild said it best ->




So did the painting sell? I don't know, it doesn't matter. What matters is the compliments, not just from friends but, from strangers it was amazing. They liked me, the really liked me, it was amazing....

No comments: